Release Date: July 28, 2006 (US)
Director: Michael Mann
Writter: Michael Mann
Jamie Foxx as: Ricardo Tubbs
Co-Stars: Colin Farrell, Li Gong
Runtime: 134 min ?| 140 min (unrated director’s edition)
Genre: Action, Drama
Rated:?R for strong violence, language and some sexual content
Production budget: $135 million (estimated)
Box office: $163 million
Ricardo Tubbs (Jamie Foxx)? is urbane and dead smart. He lives with Bronx-born intel analyst Trudy, as they work undercover transporting drug loads into South Florida to identify a group responsible for three murders. Sonny Crockett (Colin Farrell) is charismatic and flirtatious until-while undercover working with the supplier of the South Florida group-he gets romantically entangled with Isabella, the Chinese-Cuban wife of an arms and drugs trafficker. The intensity of this case pushes Crockett and Tubbs out onto the edge where identity and fabrication become blurred, where cop and player become one-especially for Crockett in his romance with Isabella and for Tubbs in the provocation of an assault on those he loves.
- The film is a loose adaptation of the 1980s TV series of the same name.
- The movie was filmed on location in Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Paraguay, Brazil and Miami, FL.
- Miami Vice is the third collaboration between Jamie Foxx and Michael Mann, following 2001’s Ali and 2004’s Collateral.
- Michael Mann had his actors train with real-life undercover law enforcement officers.
- Filming in Dominican Republic was suspended during October 2005 due to raucous behavior from the public and a shooting where the aggressor was injured.
- In all European advertising for the film, Colin Farrell got top billing, but in all American advertising, Jamie Foxx got top billing.
Jamie is a genius at using mimicry as a means to get to an immediate, spontaneous, truthful place with moment and character. ?He knows the demeanor that Tubbs should have, and he goes all the way with it.
– Michael Mann on Jamie Foxx’s performance